Subject: Re: Leica IIIf questions
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:29:20 -0400

>what is the Red Dial on a red dial body?

The red dial refers to the flash delay adjusting ring. It is the ring
surrounding the shutter speed dial. The numbers on the body under that ring
are red. The earlier black dial bodies had black numbers.

>Besides that question, I have several questions about the lens.  First off,
>what is the <RD> on a 50mm f3.5 Elmar RD lens?

A red scale Elmar has the distance markings in red. The other lettering is
black.

> Secondly, is the serial number the tiny numbers located
>on the dark ring immediately around the lens glass?

Yes.

> If so, mine seems to
>read 10122XX, and I'm not sure what the XX numbers are, I think they are 65.
> What does this tell me about the lens?

It tells you that it was most likely produced in 1953. The focus index is
diamond shaped, is it not?

> That number seems high compared to
>the Elmars listed in Ritz Collectible lists and other places.

Remeber these lenses were made for a LONG time!

>  Finally, my
>lens is the opposite of the one shown in the manual. ....  Different
>versions  > of the Elmar lens?  Incidently, my Elmar does go to f22 and is
>marked in feet.

Yes, different versions; yours being a later one. If it is a red scale with
diamond shaped focus index marker then it is (I think) the next to last
version of the screw Elmar f3.5. The last one had a triangle shaped index
mark, but was optically the same. (Again, I think this is correct)

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                              <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>