Subject: Business Magazine Article featuring Leica - what's a Leica?
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:44:10 GMT

> > Leica is still best known for its ultra-sturdy, ultra-quiet manual
> > cameras, which are pricey and rare. it produces only 10,000 a year of
> > the M series, the classic rangefinder, and 7,000 of the R series, the
> > single-lens reflex (SLR) model. The average price of a Leica is $800,
> > more than twice that of any other brand.
>
> Excuse me?  Where do they get that the "average" Leica is $800.  I'd
> love to pick up a new M or R for $800.
>
> I guess if you count by number of cameras sold and you count Leica
> Minis, Mini Zooms and miniluxes, then perhaps the average is $800.
> However,  I find that statement very misleading.  Especially since the
> article never mentioned any of the low-end leicas.

How else are you going to calculate "the average price of a Leica" other than by averaging the price
of all cameras which say "Leica" on the front?

I bet you'd have been just as unhappy with "the average price of a real Leica" or "the average price of
a proper Leica and not one of the noddy plastic models stamped out and badged", wouldn't you?

dmorton@journalist.co.uk       |  "The loss of an old man
104707.2434@compuserve.com     |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.      |  of a library"