Subject: Re: Leitz 90mm f1.0 Elcan
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:55:32 +0100

Not only you can't see through the viewfinder, you can't even focus. The
lens was delivered with extension rings of different length, corresponding
to different focussing distances. In order to make a picture, you had to
determine the distance, choose the related ring, take away the old ring and
install the new one before being able to fire the shutter. Henri
Cartier-Bresson and Gary Winogrand would have loved this system for street
photography.

I think though that people who bought such a lens (possibly sold to the
public because of a contract overrun, like the military KE-7A M4), will make
a lot of money selling the glass at a Leica sale at Christies in London or
with one of the specialized German auction houses (Cornwall, etc).

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  I was flipping throught the latest Shutterbug (hope this doesnt bring back
>that old thread!) and came upon an ad by (I think) B&H listing a 90mm f1.0
>Elcan lens for M bayonet mount made in Canada as part of a military
>contract.  Supposedly only 18 were made.  The lens is so wide (there is a
>picture) that you can't see through the viewfinder.  A supplimental finder
>is required. No price was listed.
>
>Does anyone in the group know more about this lens?

>Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
>                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>

INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX
                   CH-1009 PULLY