Subject: Re: Your most used lens
From: jvr@inescn.pt (Joao Ranito)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:55:14 GMT

I would say it depends, but some months ago it would have been a M3 with:

35/3.5 Summaron (%60)
50/2 Collapsible Summicron (30%)
90/4 Elmar (10%)

I must admit (sigh!, this will DEFINITELY get me thrown out of LUG, but...
:-) that I bought a ... (blush!) Konica (glup!!) Hexar (shame!!!) and that
the 35 Summaron now stays most of the time in the box (the Hexar lens is
that good AND the M3 does not have a 35mm frameline...). OTOH, I have been
"rediscovering" the 50 Summicron as a wonderful and allround lens (for some
years, I saw the 50 as a "short-tele", because of my preference for the 35mm
focal length).

BTW, I don't use the Elmar more often because, although sharp, it flares A
LOT (I mean, _A_LOT_, I must even be careful when using flash!) and, perhaps
because of that, it has much worse contrast than the Summaron (which flares
quite a bit on it's own right!) and the Summicron (much better in the flare
department than both). Is this common behaviour or just a really bad sample?
The coating seems ok, no scratches, uniform colour, no fungus. Does anyone
has a clue, besides "dump it, the Elmar was never a good design anyway!" ;-) ?

FWIW,

Joao

Joao Vasco Ranito
Medidata, SA
jvr@inescn.pt
Murphy's Law of Combat:
"If your enemy is within firing range, so are you."