Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #244...
From: Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 10:39:15 -0500 (EST)

> >I only read the `digest' of the User Group now and ...
<snip> ...

> Does reading the "digest" somehow put you in a superior position?

	Hi Roger -

	Pretty outrageous comment you make! My point was that
	I haven't been keeping up with the lens blitz in LUG
	and it just hit me all at once.

> >But isn't this a bit like asking what kind of pictures
> >people take? I would think that most photographers will
> >select that lens   <snip>
>
> Oh c'mon, Wolfgang. There's a bit of collector/enthusiast above and beyond
> in all photographers. We all stroke our egos by rationalizing *our*
> purchases. We go the extra step in rationalization by inquiring about what
> others find "best" for their type of shooting. You have no "most used lens"?
> Bet you a dinner that you do!

	An unfair bet! You can't loose. Clearly no one chooses a
	lens randomly and hence everyone uses one lens more than
	another. Better question would have been, do people follow
	the general pattern of lens selection: Wide angle: For
	landscapes and people/objects in their environment; Narrow
	angle: For subject isolation and perspective. Some people
	have raised the question: Suppose you're only permitted
	one camera (plus lens) which would you select. In that
	case, I would choose my M6/35mm;f1.4.

	Your statement about people stroking their egos by
	rationalizing their purchases in equipment is NOT
	a universal truth - particularly as regards to the
	great photographers.

> Face it man, "most used lens" is merely a subset of the "Why you shoot Leica
> thread". AND, you do shoot Leica, nicht wahr?

	Aha! Jetzt ist's klar! Natuerlich benutze ich auch Leica.
	Aber dazu kommt auch Mamiya 7, Nikon N90s, F, und Roundshot.
	Mein Punkt: Keine Kamera ist perfekt fuer alles!

> In the same `Digest': Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
<snip> ...
	... says it best ...

> What you say makes sense, but you have to remember, owning Leicas does not
> make sense....         ... So it is natural for fellow crazy enthusiasts
> to compare notes as we are doing.

	Thanks Dan! Tschuess Roger!

	-- Wolfgang
|                    Wolfgang Sachse   Phone: +1/607/255-5065              |
|   T&AM/Thurston Hall; Cornell Univ   E-mail: sachse@msc.cornell.edu      |
|        Ithaca, NY - 14853-1503 USA   FAX:   +1/607/255-9179              |
|                      WWW Home Page   http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~sachse  |
|__________ Cornell Women's Fencing == Chess at the Speed of Light ________|