Subject: RE: M3 finder in M6
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:40:16 -0500 (EST)

At 10:01 AM 11/4/96 EST, you wrote:

>Recently, one of the voices who answers the Leica USA service phone told
>me that they were now using a the range/viewfinder similar to a recent
>special
>model (M6-G I think) that looks like an M3.  This particular camera has a
>functioning M6 light meter, but, the viewfinder magnification is something
>like
>0.85 rather than the M3's 0.91.  I don't know if the meter in a modified M6
>would
>work as well, but it seems like it should with this unit.
>
> - Kevin
>kburke@iterated.com

I think you are referring to the special collector's M6 with M3 finder.  I
can't remember what it was called, but it doesn't really matter, since it
was sold at a vast premium (thousands of $) over an M6, and had limited
production.  Basically, it was too expensive to buy and use.  This is one of
Leica's most irritating "collector" things--if people want the M3 back
again, with the meter and the other M4-M6 improvements, why not produce the
camera in a regular series run, priced within reach of the M6?  Let the
collectors have one with a special imprint.  Instead, we get what may
represent a real improvement on the old M3--certain users would
benefit--which in practice cannot be used!  I know Leica needs money, and
expensive collectibles which cost them little extra to make are huge profit
centers, but it would be nice if they focused on users, too, if they are
going to make real significant changes like this!--Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850