Subject: Re: Bruckner Edition M6
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:41:22 -0500 (EST)

At 05:51 PM 11/12/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I really fail to see the reason for having a Bruckner M6. Next, we will have
>a Mozart M6. What we really need is an M7.

My problem with Leica is not that they make collector's editions--if they
can, with little effort,  add blue leather and engraving to an M6 and sell
it for $10000, more power to them.  The same for the chrome lenses--as long
as the premium they charge for them more than covers the costs of the change
in the metal used to make them.  My problem is that that money ought to go
to rejuvenate the M series, as you say--and it doesn't seem to.  Wonderful
as it is, the M6 is a bit of a joke to some non-Leica users, because it is
essentially identical to a design from the '60s, and these camera buffs see
chrome lenses and another collector's edition instead of a much-needed new
camera.  We users surely don't want Leica to become a cute anachronism (as,
unfortunately, Rollei has treated its TLR).   (To avoid a fiery death, I
want to make clear that I love the M6--I own one--but Leica needs to update
it, or the Contax G1-2 and other rumored new RF systems are going to
endanger its survival.)
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU