Subject: A42 Lens Caps
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:47:15 -0500

At 02:29 PM 11/13/96 +0100, Jorge wrote:

>Does Leica (or any third party accessory maker) make a front
>lens cap for the M lenses diam.39mm that fits the lens with/without
>the filter mounted on it and that STAYS in place?
>
>Mine is a simple plastic model that fits only the filter and grips
>on the external diameter of the filter. My lens is the 35 summicron.

The slip-on size of the lens itself is 42mm and these caps aren't hard to
find at all, as this lens size was shared by Zeiss for almost all the Contax
RF lenses.  Thus, a 42mm slip-on lenscap is not hard to find whether made by
Leitz or Zeiss or after-market.

Leica made the following:

A42 brushed aluminium ORQDO/14031
A42 black aluminium 14122 (current production)
A42 plastic 14268 (current production)

The plastic caps DO wear out and become loose, so you need to replace these
from time to time.  Fortunately, they're fairly inexpensive (US$20 or so).

If you want a lenscap to fit over the filter, you have to use on of the
older A40 lens caps as used on the Summitar.  These are available used and
are Leica codeword ORSTO.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!