Subject: Re: What would an M7 have?
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:35:15 -0700

>Someone mentioned a successor to the M6 recently. What would you want in
>an M7? Standard camera back for easier film loading? Aperture priority
>exposure mode? Variable field-of-view frames? Would you change the body
>shape (techno-ergo) or the viewfinder (zoom to focal length)? Would it
>actually be a worthy successor with an electronically controlled
>shutter?
>
>Just trying to stir up trouble....
>
>Chris Hoover
>cdhoover@pacbell.net

We had this sort of trouble a couple months back. It was entertaining, but
I think most folks decided that to add features that we like in other
cameras would compromise the things about the Ms that are important, that
make them worth the investment. It's not just the lenses. The camera is
mechanical (no battery dependence--esp. imp. in cold weather), it's quiet,
it is simple and quick to operate (no multiple choice dials and
multi-function buttons, a plague on my Hexar), it's reliable, etc.

The two changes that I can see that would not compromise the M6
fundamentally are 1) a film loading door that's quicker and easier to use
(as you suggest) and 2) the option for an M3 finder.

I'm sure no one will agree with me, the that's LUG for you.

- -Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074