Subject: Re: Hektor confusion
From: "Michiel Fokkema" <t350766@parijs.tip.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:35:27 +0000

> Item Subject: Message text
> In recently helping a student date some of her SM equipment, I came upon
> something in the Hove 6th edition that confuses me. The student has a
> Hektor 135mm f/4.5 SM, ser.no. 1073943. According to Hove, as I read it,
> her lens should be black except for the focusing scale, as Hove pictures
> it and describes it on p. 94. Howeber, her *screw mount* lens looks
> exactly like the picture of the mostly chrome bayonet version pictured
> and described on p. 95. Can anyone shed light? Thanks.
>
> Bill Barrett

Hello Barrett,

The lensnumbers in the handbooks are just guidelines. Leica assigned
numbers to certain years and when they had too much numbers or not
enough numbers they just took the numbers off another year.
I have a 35/1.4 with a lensnumber which dates the lens in 1959 while
production started in 1961.

Greetings,

                        Michiel.