Subject: Re: What would an M7 have?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:22:33 -0400

I think that Leica already makes a camera that satisfies all the wishes
expressed in this thread, namely the R8.  And if you don't like the R8, then
consider the R7, or R6.2 or R5 etc.

Please, leave the M6 alone!  I enjoy loading the camera through the bottom.
The Vulcanite looks beautiful, don't replace it with the tacky non-descript
rubber found on modern SLRs.  The lack of a "high-eyepoint" style viewfinder
is only a problem with wide-angle lens, and many other modern cameras are no
different.  I have several auto exposure cameras, but I find that I use them
in manual mode about 95% of the time.  Exposures with my manual M6 are the
most consistent.  It doesn't require auto-exposure   All the little problems
(and they can't be that large; people have been taking wonderful pictures
with the Leica for most of this century with models far less convenient than
the M6!) add to the charm of the camera, and I believe that charm is about
75% of what the Leica is all about.  Take that away and you are left with a
machine that has to compete head-on with a dozen other cameras that have it
beat on every technological count.  And that would spell the end of the M6.
The press photographers who have become spoiled by zillion frame per second
SLRs are free to use them.  They have a huge selection to choose from.

I've said it before, the M6 will never be obsolete because it ALREADY IS
OBSOLETE!

Just one person's opinion

Dan C.