Subject: Leica Folklore
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:32:13 -0700

People,

I would like to discuss a new topic - something related to taking pictures
with the Leica.

Recently, I found a copy of the 1953 Leica Manual by Morgan and Lester. I
found it to be great reading. It also has great pieces by Eisenstaedt and
pictures by Julius Huisgen and other noted Leica personages. It is
interesting that the 1955 edition of the same manual is completely revised.
It features the M3, of course, but not the IIIg, yet. Personally, I find the
1953 edition more interesting than the 1955 edition.

I also have the 1935 edition and it is also very good with many great photos.

I would be interested in knowing what type of photography does the M camera
enable. Personally, I love the control of the depth of field. I also like
the unique characteristics of the older lenses, particularly the "softness"
of my older, fat Tele-Elmarit. I would love to get an older 50mm/3.5 Elmar
just to play with and make "different" images. Does anyone have one of these
lenses for sale? Please let me know by private e-mail.

Best regards,

Chris