Subject: Re: M4-2
From: Tony Chang <stchang@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 00:23:55 -0500

At 02:11 PM 1996/11/14 PST, you wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>       I have been thinking of adding a M4-2 to my M collection and came up
>     with a question.  As far as I know, M4-2 is basically the same as M4
>     except that the former was made in Canada without a self timer.  My
>     question comes here, why is M4-2 not as much appreciated as M4?  Is it
>     because it is Canadian made with less attention to quality.  Your
>     opinions are appreciated.
>
>       When it comes to R Leica, some dealers said that R4 and R3 are so
>     problematic while R4S, R4S-P and later models are ok.  They also said
>     R4's made in Germany with higher serial number are much better.

I just bought an used R4s (165XXXX) and it was made in Portugal.  The guy
who sold me this camera told me that all R4 and R4s were made in Portugal
and R4s with over 1.5-million serial number are better.  I have used this
camera for almost 2 weeks and found no problem with its metering system.  In
fact, it's damn accurate compare to my Minolta IVF incident meter!

>       I just wonder if it is really true that German made cameras even of
>     the same model are better in quality and every other respect.
>

>                        Regards,
>
>                        David Lee

Tony Chang <stchang@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
3B Chemical Engineering