Subject: Re: Kilfit Macro Kilar 4/300
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:49:02 -0500

At 04:48 PM 11/16/96 +0100, Rainer wrote:

>I have seen the above lens in an advertisement. I have never heard
>before about it. Does anybody know anything? It must be for screw
>mount. Is it for the Visoflex?

Wow!  What can I say?  This is one epic lens, a phenomenally accurate and
sharp optic of great ability.  It is heavy, clumsy, and cumbersome, but will
do all that it is supposed to do -- from working as a close-focus lens for
magnificent blowups to serving as a conventional telephoto.  The mount is
adaptable:  the lens (I can tell more if you send me the serial number) uses
one of several Kilfitt adaptation systems and can be fitted to Visoflex, R,
or virtually any miniature-format (35mm) camera system, though many of these
adapters are now quite hard to find.  It can be fitted to MF cameras as
well, though only the very last of these lenses will fill the entire 6cm by
6cm frame, the earlier ones going up only to 645.

Heinz Kilfitt founded the Kilfitt factory in Liechtenstein and later moved
it to Munich;  he produced the first multi-focus 35mm lens for Frank Back
when that American designer was unable to get anyone else to build it, and
thus came the Zoomar, first popularized on the Voigtlander Bessamatic and
Exakta cameras of the early '60's.  When Heinz Kilfitt retired in '68, he
sold the factory to Back, who then ran it under the Zoomar name for many
years.  Its headquarters were on Long Island and the factory remained in
Munich.  It ceased civilian production in '88 and relocated to the
Rochester, NY, area where it now restricts itself to scientific and military
work.

The 4/300 Pan-Tele-Kilar was produced from 1968 until the factory ceased
production.  It is a lens well worth owning!  (And I'll be happy to sell you
some adapters, too!)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!