Subject: Re: What would an M7 have?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:12:22 -0800

Chris:

An M7 should have:

1.  Half increment shutter speeds.

2.  A slightly bigger dial (as someone mentioned earlier)

3.  Faster film change system.

4.  A tiny motordrive (I can't believe the size of the standard motor
drive; maybe if it went 15 FPS or something, but it's bigger than the
camera!) or a standard bottom mounted winder (as was made 3rd party
for the M4 (I think).

5.  Higher sync speed.

The main reason for 1, 2 and 3 is the increasing use (since 1950s) of
color transparency film that requires precise exposure and often
bracketing--but quickly.  Sometimes it is nice to bracket by shutter
speed, perhaps because it is so easy and Nikon aperature rings are
either sticky or loose.  I find that with my N90s, I bracket mostly by
shutter speed. Also color film often benefits greatly by very slight
flash fill.  And our expectations for professional work often demands
flash fill, and it would nice to not be restricted to 1/50th.

The reason for #4 is for those of us who are left eyed.  I used to be
right eyed and the crank handle was not a problem.  Now it is.  I have
to take the camera away from my face to wind each time.  Breaks
concentration.  A timy motor winder/drive (see new R8 winder) would be
perfect.

- --Donal