Subject: Re: intermediate shutter speeds on M6?
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:07:03 +0200

The electronic shutterspeed simulation for the M6 lightmeter works with
resistors. Each resistor on the circuit represents a specific shutterspeed,
there is nothing between the standard shutterspeed resistors.

The 2 mechanisms that control the long- and short shutterspeed ranges can
handle intermediate speeds, except for the range between 1/8-1/15 sec. as
this is between the two ranges.

You may use mechanical speeds between the standard increments (exepted 1/8 -
1/15) but don't count on accurate metering.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
- ------
 >At 04:21 PM 11/20/96 -0400, Dan C. wrote:
>
>>My old M4-P allowed me to set the shutter speed dial to intermediate
>>settings (except for the range between 1/8-1/15 sec, for some reason).  My
>>M6's owners manual specifically states that intermediate speeds are NOT
>>available.  Is this really true or are intermediate values available but
>>that the meter is only reliable at standard shutter speed increments?
>

>Wow.  This is, as we say, one Really Good Question.  I checked my M6 IB:  no
>intermediate shutter speeds.  I checked M4 and M3 IBs -- yes, as Dan says,
>intermediate save between 1/8" and 1/15".  I checked the 15th (and, sadly,
>the last) edition of THE LEICA MANUAL:  intermediate speeds are permitted.
>
>All M's from 1 to 6 have shutters close enough to design and construction to
>make no mind.  So why, indeed, does the M6 not allow intermediate speeds?
>
>Roger, and probably many others, will rejoice to see a REAL Leica thread
>starting up again ...
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!