Subject: Re: topicality and Oddmund's post
From: "Don Bledsoe" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:23:06 -0700

Kari,

> to stab a more philosophical thread I do sense two techno-types
> trying to assume the role of priesthood in this forum. Yet, given
> that this is Leica-USERS-group what business does some Leica
> historica and obscurica have here? But I'm not saying that it should
> go - live and let live is much better.
[snip]
> It's a shame more or less all the really good photographers seem to
> be missing from these forums. Perhaps they have better things to
> do.
[snip some more]

Certainly there are some valid points in your message but perhaps you too
are guilty of cruising with only one headlight.  You appear to equate
"really good photographers" with fame or recognition.  You have little or
no idea of the capabilities of most of the people who frequent the
photography news groups or this users group.  I venture you have seen
little or none of their work yet you assume _none_ are in the class of the
"really good," because they are not among the missing persons.  Perhaps
there are some who are "really good" and who do frequent the news groups
but have simply not been discovered, don't care to be discovered, never had
the opportunity, or just enjoy the company here and won't be discovered
because they are not among the "missing.".  That does not make them any
less "really good photographers."  I suspect one would need to see their
work to make such a judgment.  And even that could be subjective.

Are the "philosophicalistas" to unseat the "techno-types" to assume the
"priesthood?"  I think maybe that will be decided by the users and what
they post.  "Techno-type" discussions will likely dry up and blow away if
the group users move in that direction.  It does tend to swing to a
majority type thing when the forum is open.  Still, I do not see why there
can't be room for all to discuss their particular bent.

> Remember he was (still is?) a Leica user but could have made most
> of his photographs with a brownie, too. Why is that, answer me you
> techno-types?

This is reminiscent of the superficial defiant, "retro-tech" rallying cry
of the Lomo and Diana toy camera users.  A really philosophical bunch if
ever I have seen one.  They have their own web page and user group.  Care
to guess what direction their discussions tend to go?

> Ok, enough said.

I agree.

Don out West