Subject: Re: Experience with M4-2
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 21 Nov 96 21:16:39 -0600

>Two days ago I bought a M4-2 (mint in box) with a winder from a
>     reputable dealer.  It looked great but alas!  To my dismay, the
>     shutter was completely off and frame preview did not work at all.

Not surprising: Any camera that has been sitting around, essentially
unused, for maybe 15 years is probably going to need some servicing.
Someone once warned me never to buy a too-minty used camera for this very
reason. What you've purchased is someone's collector's item, in which case,
mint cosmetics and an unbroken original seal may be more important that
trivial matters such as greases which have turned to sludge :-)

>       A question arose here.  I have been racking my brain to figure out
>     why M4-2 is problematic if M4-2 is basically the same body as M4 as
>     most of you agreed.

Some speculations:
(1) It was the first M to be produced in significant numbers in Canada, and
hence, new production line glitches might've been a factor

(2) The hot shoe and winder couplings were new features at the time