Subject: Re: Experience with M4-2
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:21:30 -0400

At 10:06 AM 23/11/96 -0600, Tom wrote:
[snip]
>        Another thought.... there's nothing quite like a  user Leica. Very
>high mileage Leica M's are a special delight. My favorite user is a M3 from
>1963 that has seen thousands of feet of film. It was in daily use by a hard
>working othodonisist before retiring.  I've shot it extensively for five
>years and it will likely outlast me.  If you have a chance to photograph
>with a well worn Leica try it... they are very special instruments. I'm
>never afraid to recommend that someone purchase a well worn Leica M if the
>viewfinder housing is in good shape and the viewfinder is bright. Consider
>leaving  the like new and mint equipment for the collectors' shelves and
>enjoy a hard working classic..

I agree.  When my M6 was new I babied it like most Leica owners probably
baby theirs.  Over the years, though, through fairly frequent use, signs of
wear are starting to show.  I am almost glad.  Now I can take out my camera
and use it properly and not worry about possibly getting the odd ding or
two, or having the black chrome finish wear away.  I no longer have to worry
about the camera ever being a "collectable".

Dan C.