Subject: Re: Zeiss Quality on the LUG?
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 19:22:33 -0500 (EST)

Sorry--I need to correct an error in my last post to Marc of a few minutes
ago.  I realize that at the end I referred to lens designs of the 1940's,
and compared them to designs of 1996.  But of course those Germans that went
to the Soviet Union presumably lived a while and designed into the '50's.
This doesn't really change the point of that bit of the post, though, and
the big point--why should we accept the idea that people who cannot or will
not build high quality mechanics in cameras can, or have the will to,  put
together top quality optics?  (I think there's a point in here, too, about
the Soviets' attitude toward consumer goods!)
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU