Subject: Re: Light, portable camera, A Con?
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 17:01:25 +0100

> Are we being conned? Is a Leica M really worth $4000? I personally doubt
> it. It sure says Leica on it, it sure is a nice camera, but in terms of
> functionality there are plenty of cameras selling for an eighth the
> money that will produce indistinguishable results.

Yes, this is something to think about... Here are my reasons for the Leica
M:

1) The direct look through the rangefinder
I think that people relax more in front of a small and quiet Leica-M, even
showing the face of the photographer behind the camera, compared to when
they are confronted with photographers using big AF-SLR:s with whining
motor drives and fill-in flash.

2) Fast reaction
Leica M has no mirror. It is easier to capture a movement in the exact
moment.

3) The lenses
No further comments are needed...

4) The silent shutter
No beeping, no motorized winding. Only a person used to M-cameras can hear
the shutter.

5) The finder
Bright and clear also with slow lenses. You can see objects moving into the
picture. With flash, you can see the light falling down on the object.

6) The rangefinder
Very accurate, also with extreme wide angle lenses. Better than any manual
SLR with 50mm or wider lenses. But on the other hand. the SLR is the camera
to use for close ups and tele lenses.

What about the price?
The M-Leica offers the basic functions for picture making. Compare this
concept with the high-tech cameras like Contax G1-G2 and Nikon F4-F5. High
tech cameras are like computer hardware, fast developement and large loss
of value on "old" models. With the Leica, you know what you have got (and
the things you miss compared to high tech cameras...). If you buy used
Leica equipment, I would say that you get a lot for your money! If you have
decided to ignore the high tech concept, and feel confident that you are
able to make good photography with a manual camera, a new Leica is a good
investment that lasts for many years.

What about the photogapher?
Yes, the photographer is more important than the camera... But it is like
choosing a car. How many cameras have that special "Leica feel"? I have
made my choice, and others will do theirs. A confident and happy
photographer will make better pictures!

/Hans