Subject: Leica Screw Mt to Nikon F
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 21:43:27 -0800

Grant Wilson wrote:

> Is there a Leica screw mount to Nikon F mount adapter available?  I
> understand that the lenses will not focus at infinity.  I seem to remember
> (from about 1959) that such adapters were once made.  Does anyone have one
> they would care to pitch (for a reasonable price)?

Well, yes, sort of.

Nikon made a series of long focus lenses for its rangefinders to be used
with the rangefinder reflex housing (Nikons version of the Viso).
These were the 180/250/350/500/1000.  These lenses were developed
roughly 1952-1960.

When the Nikon was introduced in 1959, Nikon also introduced an NF
adapter to allow the use of the Reflex housing Nikkors on the Nikon F.
The NF was essentially an extension tube with the RF mount on one end
and the F mount on the other, which replaced the RF reflex housing to
mount the RF lens on the F.

Nikon ALSO made a few Leica Screw Mount long mount lenses(the above
focal lengths) to fit on the Viso.   For these lenses, Nikon produced
the LF adapter.  It was an extension tube with a LTM at one end, and a F
mount at the other so these Nikkor Viso lenses could be mounted directly
on the F.

There has never been a LTM mount adapter which allowed infinity focus on
the Nikon F for LTM RF coupled lenses.

Stephen Gandy