Subject: Leitz glass vs. Zeiss G-Mount glass or M6 vs. G2
From: "J. Scott King" <jscottyk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:43:12 -0600

*I tried sending this message earlier, but it did not seem to go through.
I'll try again.*

Hello LUG:

I'm new here... been lurking for about a week and have finally decided to
post a question to the LUG that is on my mind these days.  Considering some
of the replies that I have seen of late I may be opening Pandora's box with
this question, but as they say, "You can't win if you don't play."  So here
goes.

Has anyone done any comparison of the Zeiss G-Mount glass versus the modern
Leitz glass.  Currently I am shooting with an M4-P with 35mm and 50mm
Summicrons, and a 90mm Elmarit.  I have decided that I want a rangerfinder
with an in camera meter.  I was about to go ahead and make the leap to an
M6 (and for me it's a huge leap) when a friend suggested that I check out
the new G-2.  I have been doing so for the last week and I'm at a cross
roads.

Confusion, confusion... There are many pros and cons for both systems.  I'm
going to be using my camera (whatever it happens to be) to make
photographs.  Documentary photographs, environmental portrait photographs,
snap-shots, blah, blah blah.  In other words, I'm going to shoot.  I have
been shooting with the M4-P for about a year and I love it.  I have come to
truly appreciate rangefinders, but I don't have a lifelong tie to Leica.
Any comments, recommendations?  Questions that I should ask?

TIA,
Scott King
jscottyk@ix.netcom.com
Austin, Texas