Subject: Re: Oddmund is doing odd things
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 22:06:04 -0500 (EST)

At 08:35 PM 11/24/96 -0400, you wrote:

> I am more concerned with how M. Garvik was able to find that site,
>and how much effort he is making in his investigations of the people on the
LUG.

People should remember that EVERYTHING they post on the Internet to a group
is potentially available to everyone, forever.  LUG, and Medium Format
Digest, to which I also subscribe, have archives that keep posts around for
years, in addition to the "archives" that exist in the computers of
individuals.  So that nasty note you knock off and post to LUG with no
hesitation is a long-lived public document.

As for Web pages, all Oddmund or anyone else has to do is enter someone's
name in a good search engine, and if that person has a contribution on a web
site, it may well come up in the results.  I have found a couple of
photographers' web pages that way, including one in LUG.   Since Oddmund
noted Thrall's contribution to a Buchanan site, that's presumably how he did
it.

This is not an "investigation" parallel to having someone go through your
garbage; you choose what you put out there.  If you don't want someone like
Oddmund to know about, say, your political leanings, then don't write
contributions like Mr. Thrall's.

I wouldn't feel too threatened, anyway--all he can do is send more nasty
messages, right?
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU