Subject: Re: Grey market Leica
From: Claes-Göran Bjernèr <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:22:24 +0000

Dan Cardish wrote:
> =

> At 07:29 PM 25/11/96 +0000, Claes wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >Lemon Camera is an excellent shop, but Sanpo Camera near Shibuya offer=
> >Leica M6 for only Y186,000 or US$1665 with your exchange rate. This
> >according to their advertisment in the October issue of the Japanese
> >Camera magazine CAPA. And in the same magazine MapCamera in Shinjuku
> >offers the M6 for Y202,000 or US$17265. Or the fancy Titanium body for=

> >Y248,000! Their lenses cost about the same as in your shop.
> =

> Does this store  (Sanpo Camera) sell by mail order?
> =

> Dan C.

This particular shop does home deliveries, but I doubt very much that
they ship overseas. Soon my Japanese wife is going to Tokyo and she will
pick up a new M6 and a 35/2.Summicron for me. Why don=B4t you send YOUR
wife over there, Dan?

But seriously, Japanese stores ship overseas only if you are present at
the time of purchase. To much hassle with customs otherwise. However,
they do deduct the Tokyo 3% VAT if you show your passport. And that tax
is already included in the listed price. So the low price is even
sweeter than it looks!

Regards,

Claes