Subject: in between heartbeats
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 14:35:54 +0200

Fred Ward mentioned shooting some long times in the dark. I've
tried this occasionally with SLR and M, too. This seems Leica-stuff
so how about it:

Handheld, available llght, no mirror flipping. No breathing either.
Some people say they know their heartbeat & can time the release
accordingly. I'm not sure I believe it. But it is surely essential
so do the exposure inbetween and hence 1/2 should be doable for most
people. Well, the ratio of good to bad (unshaken to blurred) still
cannot still be good, but I'm just curious, how do people fare with
this? I can get at most 1/5 of the frames acceptable (forget all
focusing error etc., just camera stability considered here) if I'm
standing. If I lean aganst something or if I stick my elbows to a
table I can do a bit better.

The other thing is of course that in the really interesting
situations my heart rate will force 1/4 at most...;-)

Regards,

Kari