Subject: Russian lenses: it's true
From: Rainer Mueller <uh3b207@hpmail.lrz-muenchen.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 14:51:58 +0100 (MET)

I just received the first roll of film shot with my new Russian
lenses: a Russar 5.6/20mm and a Jupiter-3 1.5/50mm. We have
heard repeatedly (mostly by Marc and by joe b.) the stories about
the wonderful performance of Russian lenses, and at least for theses
two they are true.
I shot the Jupiter side by side with my old Summitar (on a IIIa), and
perhaps it is even a bit sharper (although surely colder). I don't own
a Zeiss lens, so that I cannot say whether it's really identical to
a Zeiss.
The Russar is also quite sharp and I can see no vignetting. The
pictures look very natural. Thanks Marc and joe b. for the hint.

(Someone asked how the Russians managed to keep quality standards high.
I wonder too.)

BTW: the Russar viewfinder sits very loose on the accy shoe, and
I let it fall down to the street. Now the front element is a bit shaky
inside (it can move a bit back and forth). Does anybody know whether
this is normal or whether it was caused by the fall? It's the
rectangular model.

Regards,

Rainer Mueller
Munich, Germany