Subject: Re: in between heartbeats
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:14:48 -0700 (MST)

>Fred Ward mentioned shooting some long times in the dark.

DO NOT LAUGH!!! I MEAN IT.

I have an interesting roll of negatives I made of the interior of my shower
stall in my home. I made the exposures from 1/4 sec. all the way down to 1
sec. - all are sharp as hell, and all were hand held. I made the exposures
over a weeks time with an M4P and an old 35 Summaron (great lens).

My secret - I shot while sitting on the toilet. Yes. It is not uncommon for
my wife to see me enter the bathroom with a leica in hand (I used to read).
She just rolls her eyes and is kind enough not to ask questions.

I will not get in to any specific relaxation techniques, but I will say that
breathing is very important. Rather than holding one's breath it is best to
exhale completely, wait a moment and make the exposure.

Please resist all urges to comment on my experimentation. I learned a lot
about long exposures and just wanted to share with the rest of the class.

ben