Subject: Re: News Equip, was; odd things
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:04:28 -0800

Kari Eloranta wrote:

> >I am not much of a NG fan and the only time I ever see an issue is
> >in a doctor's waiting room but I wonder if anyone has noticed a
> drop >in the caliber of the photo-stories since the "devolution"?
>
> Neither am I anymore. I don't follow it regularily but IMHO
> Barbey's view of Morocco was a recent high point. Superb
> composition, color elements in balance, timing etc etc. But then
> again he is not in NG but in Magnum. BTW anyone know about his
> working habits, equipment, film used and such? Some of the images
> had a "glow" that made me wonder...
>
> Regards,
>
> Kari

If you will find a recent R7 or R6.2 brochure, I think,  you will find
the opening photo of the NG story.  He is one of my favorite working
photographers.  I have his book on AnkorWat and it is very impressive;
also his book on North Vietnam published in the 70's.  Leica for all
his working life.  I have heard he has a traveling exhibit from 40
years working in China.  I'm hoping it (and he for the opening) will
be coming to San Diego's Museum of Photographic Arts.

- --Donal Philby
		San Diego