Subject: Number of Blades
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 11:05:56 -0700

LUGers,

I have noticed that, that over the years, there has been a reduction in the
number of blades. An extreme example is the relatively new 50mm/2.8 Elmarit,
which only has six blades. The most recent 50mm Summicron has eight blades,
while the DR Summicron  and type-2 Summicron each had ten blades. What is
going on?

I noticed this recently, after taking pictures on a particularly gray day. A
car's headlamps produced an eight-fold pattern in the print. I agree that an
eight-fold pattern appears more natural than a 10-fold pattern, but this
still leaves me unsatisfied. Can one of you shed some light on this phenomenon?

Regards,

Chris