Subject: M3 No. 895671-What year?
From: errolws@lister.madec.edu.au (Errol Schmidt)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 17:19:26 +1000

Dear Leica friends - I have just got a Leica M3 - 895671 and would like to
know more about the camera. It is a single stroke with speeds from 1000 to
1 sec plus B, and a Summicron 5cm 1:2 lens nr. 1512154.

Is there something wrong with this camera? When I look through the
viewfinder all I can see is a very small rectangular image in the middle of
quite a large black rectangle that is surrounded by a white or bright line
broken in the middle of each side by thick black lines connected to the
large black rectangle. If I move the small lever to the left of the lens,
when in the picture taking position, to the left, I get a larger thin
bright lined rectangle around the small image rectangle and if I move the
lever to the right I get an even larger thin bright lined rectangle around
the small image rectangle. When I focus the image moves to the left or the
right with none of the normal rangefinder converging of images apparent -
just a single image.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

regards errol