Subject: Re: M3 No. 895671-What year?
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 18:19:00 -0500

Thanks Marc,
Lets see, I think I'll look for a DS prior to 844xxx as a user. I think
there was a retrofit kit to convert the pre-M4s to the 'rapid' loading (sans
cassette) of the 4, 5, and 6. Will these fir the early model M3? Anything
else I should be aware of or look for? I've been thinking about a backup for
the CL and from all I've read the DS seems like a good value. The DS doesn't
bother me since I am used to it on the Minox and I don't rapid wind/shoot.

At 11:56 AM 11/30/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Brian
>
>You ask about the glass plate used in the M3 cameras.  These were supposed
>to promote film flatness, as you suggest, but were found in dry conditions
>to promote static-electricity effects which streaked the film, and so a
>metal plate was substituted at 844,001 in '57.  The M2, not introduced until
>'58, always had the metal plate.
>
>I've had a slew of M3's with the glass plate and have never had any problem
>with static electricity.  I'm not certain that the change wasn't made to
>reduce production costs, as Leitz was starting to feel a fiscal crunch by
>'57 (one that has gotten worse and stayed bad thereafter).
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Brian Levy, J.D.