Subject: Re: Modern Photography
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 17:12:50 -0500 (EST)

I don't have that last issue of Modern any more, but I wrote a nasty letter
to Pop when they bought Modern out (pointing out the cost to readers of lack
of competition), and not only did they publish the letter in the magazine,
but I got a personal reply from Keppler, including an article that he wrote
(as I recall) for Photo District News.  He there claimed that when he moved
to Pop Modern's ad pages went downhill, so the owners couldn't make it. To
be fair, he also claimed that in that economic climate there wasn't room for
two such magazines.   Who knows?

I assumed, when you praised Modern in your post, that you must have meant
the Keppler-dominated magazine, since it didn't last very many years after
Keppler left as I recall.  The current Modern is a trail of broken promises
including "commitment to Medium Format"--Ha!

Charlie

At 05:53 PM 11/29/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 04:53 PM 11/29/96 -0500, Charles E. Love, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Hey, Marc!  Don't you know that the current Pop Photo is run by the same
>>people that used to run Modern, including Keppler?  What happened, as
>>Keppler tells the story, is that Modern and Pop were both declining in ad
>>pages in the '80's, and Modern terminated Keppler and changed regimes.
>
>Charlie
>
>Look at the last issue of Modern:  the story is there.
>
>Keppler's move had nothing to do with it.  Modern's circulation INCREASED
>throughout the '80's and (of course) jumped after Keppler left, as their
>Truth Quotient went up, dramatically, and their Bullshit Quotient declined,
>again dramatically.
>
>The owners of Pop found out the owners of Modern were in a bind, fiscally,
>and made them An Offer They Couldn't Refuse to sell out.  So they did.  One
>honest thing done was that the owners of Modern insisted Schneider be made
>part of the deal.  He and a couple of others were protected.
>
>Spare me from Keppler.  The hero of 'who's advertising this issue?'!
>
>Marc
>

>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Charles E. Love, Jr.