Subject: Re: Kodachrome, Kodalux, Qualudes ...
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 08:58:32 -0400

Chuck, et al,

You have the Kodak processing plant story right. It would be a shame if
others read the incorrect story and believed it.

Kodak does lots of things, and does most of them right. It has made some
blunders (magenta flesh in Kodachrome 64 and other mistakes with
Kodachromes in particular that let Fuji into the market here) and may be
too big to deal with on a personal basis, but our world would be much
worse as photographers without the commpany.

Selling off the processing plants was a big mistake for sure, and Kodak
realized it and corrected it. But they were neither forced to sell
originally and of course were not forced to buy plants again. The
company is actually doing a remarkable job of being in both the
silver-based world and in the digital forefront. I look at their
competition on every front and marvel at their ability to stay ahead in
almost every field....film, digital cameras, PCDs, dye sub printers,
color management systems, etc.

Fred Ward