Subject: Re: Mysterious pins on R8 lensmount
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:39:15 -0500

Not only Leica, by also Zeiss has taken this position. Zeiss did overcome it
with the development of the AX. It has been suggested that Leica did some
work with either Zeiss and/or Yashica/Contax's parent in developing the system.

I do not 'know' if AF lenses compromise quality, but to me they do feel
sloppy and loose in comparison to manual focus. Also, because of the mass,
the use of plastics subjectively leaves me with the feeling that they will
not last as long. I'm not suggesting the optics are compromised, only the
barrells and things like helicals, etc. I have a feeling that Leica would
rather take the conservative position and wait as it did until it feels the
technology it chooses is up to their quality standards.

Realistically, the extra contacts on the body will not have any future use,
unless they have a present use. I doubt that a company (even Leica) would
offer retroactive fitting of a function without having it in their
brochures. No, I don't have any idea of why it would be there, as as you
indicated it won't be the first time.

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com