Subject: 4/90 Elmar, 2/85 Sonnar/Jupiter
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 14:20:10 -0500

First, the Russians are extremely conservative in their lens data:  the
lines/mm resolution they list are probably not terribly accurate as a
consequence.  I don't have an answer to this nor have I ever performed a
resolution test on this lens in any of the forms of it I have (German Contax
RF, German LTM, Russian Contax RF, Russian LTM, Russian M42), but I use it a
LOT and find it a perfectly satisfactory lens design.  It's not QUITE up to
my 2/90 Summicron, but close.

Second, the 4/90 is an OLD design, going back to the early '30's (as does
the Jupiter, for that matter!).  Leitz made a LOT of these between 1931 and
1964, when production of the rigid four-element design ceased:  there are at
least 42,000 uncoated rigid Elmars and 94,000 coated rigid Elmars out there,
along with 25,000 collapsible Elmars and 6,000 three-element Elmars.  This
keeps the price down:  it is simply TOO common a lens.
But it is ONE fine picture-taker.  I use a 4/90 collapsible as a normal lens
on my M6.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!