Subject: 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (pro)
From: "Edward Gosfield III, MD" <gosfield@dolphin.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 11:36:50 -0500

At 12:01 AM 12/15/96 -0800, you wrote:

>I was quite impressed with the small compact size until
>most of my back lighted shots came back with obvious flare. Even a hood (an
>oversized 12575) did not help much to reduced the flare which made the
>prints look generally washed out.

I have had excellent results with a 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit.  It has been
pretty completely flare free, even into the sun.  In comparison, my (older)
DR Summicron is a very nice lens, but quite flary into the sun.  The slides
(Velvia, Provia, Sensia, K64) taken with the Tele-Elmarit have been
noticeably contrasty and sharp, and have a 'harder' look than those taken
with the DR Summicron.

I have always had great difficulty evaluating lens performance based on
commercially made prints at any size.  If i make a print myself i have a
chance to evaluate the neg or slide during the process, under high
magnification under known conditions.  When i get a print back from a lab, i
have no idea what they have done.

As an example, recently i got back a bunch of contact sheets which made me
question the RF accuracy of myself and/or my Fuji 670.  When i got out my
Emoscop loupe, at 10X and 25X the negatives were quite sharp, so the fact
that the contacts had been made through a negative file page was probably
the culprit.

Do you have 'washed out prints' in B&W as well as color?  Does it matter
what size the prints are, or who has made them?  Are they washed out when
you make your own prints?  Have you tried transparency film?

If the 90 Summicron is better than the 2.8 (not just 'different', with
characteristics some folks may prefer) it must be one hell of a lens.

best wishes

ted gosfield

mailto:gosfield@dolphin.upenn.edu