Subject: Re: Minolta CLE
From: dlevy@worldy.com.plugplay.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:54:20 -0500

At 09:05 AM 12/16/96 PST, you wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     The other day I was skim through the book, "McBroom's ..." to find
>     comments about Minolta CLE.  He said CLE is had been the most advanced
>     rangefinder camera before Contax G1 came out, which made it very
>     collectible and high-priced.

I don't know about the collectability, but it did have more bells and
whistles than any other INTERCHANGABLE LENS rangefinder camera prior to the G1.
  His price guide on it was much higher
>     than Leica CL.

While only a couple of years ago, that was true, it doesn't appear to be so
today. It seems that Leica collectors have decided the CL is worth
collecting, they are being purchased and exported from the States, and I
think more people are acquiring them as long term users. On the other hand,
the collectors market seems more limited for the CLE which is keeping the
price down. Person observation only. I have been semi-monitoring this for
the past few years becasue of my interest in the CL.

  I wonder if his comments are reasonable.

Yes, but becasue of the above, possibly dated.

>     Also I wonder if I can use any M lenses on CLE once it has no swinging
>     arm.

I personally do not know, maybe someone with a CLE can answer this one.

  How would it be compared to Leica CL?

About the same size, weight. Those disliking auto dislike the CLE in
preference to the CL, while many like the CLE because of its auto. Others
like them both, while others hate all of them. You should have been here
last month for this discussion. I for one love the CL and probably would
like the CLE as well. Seems to be some disagreement as to whether the CLE
repars are being supported any longer by Minolta USA.

  Are Rokkor lenses for CLE comparable to Leica C lenses? The German 90mm
f/4 Rokkor is easily as good as the Leica Elmar-C for the CL. I love my CL
40mm, have not tried the 28mm Rokkor for the CLE, I think that with any you
can't go wrong.

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com