Subject: Re: Minolta CLE
From: "Michiel Fokkema" <mfokkema@pop3.worldaccess.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 21:58:31 +0000

>      The other day I was skim through the book, "McBroom's ..." to find
>      comments about Minolta CLE.  He said CLE is had been the most advanced
>      rangefinder camera before Contax G1 came out, which made it very
>      collectible and high-priced.  His price guide on it was much higher
>      than Leica CL.  I wonder if his comments are reasonable.
>      Also I wonder if I can use any M lenses on CLE once it has no swinging
>      arm.  How would it be compared to Leica CL?  Are Rokkor lenses for CLE
>      comparable to Leica C lenses?

Hello David,

In my opinion the CLE is the best RF camera ever built.
Compared to the CL it has automatic exposure which can be corrected
and is therefore also great  in combination with a visoflex. It has TTL flash
possibility which in combination with a Metz 32CT7 has never let me
down. It has 28/40/90 frames in a very bright viewfinder which covers
95% off the situations I shoot , and is still so compact that the
camera with these three lenses still fit in a Cl hardcovercase. It has a selftimer (which leica-M
still features this very usefull device?).
The CLE takes almost all leica-m lenses. (The CLE uses the same
parrallel curve as the leicaM cameras and not the helical CL curve). The only exceptions I have
experienced until now are the 50 summicron NF and all the lenses with
spectacles( the spectacles will also not fit on the CL). Off course
only the 28/40/90 frames will pop up when using other lenses. The
21/4.0, 21/3.4 and the first 28/2.8 can be used on the CLE but will shade the
meteringcell and thus prohibiting TTL exposure. These early short
lenses can't be used on the CL.
The CLE is not as noisy as the CL and in general operates much
smoother.
For most people the CL just seems too small.
I agree that both cameras are overpriced. Problem for me is that I'm
not that whealty and prefer to buy (heavy) used, but good, cameras,
at much lower prices. Both the CLE and CL are hardly found in used
conditions.
I have no experience with the rokkor lenses. From hear/say I know
that the rokkor lenses are very good but that the leica lenses are
still a bit better.

My perfect camera would be a M6 with the electronics of the  CLE.
      Greetings,

                 Michiel.