Subject: Re: lightmeter for an old M
From: bill.welch@pressroom.com
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 96 19:27:24 EST

Hi folks.
        I would also recommend a Sekonic Flashmate L-308.  Many will
recommend you pick up a spot meter, and all the arguments for them are
correct. But, you must be careful and know what you're doing to use one,
and they're usually a bit on the large side. I find using the incident
meter in the small Sekonic works nicely with Leica rangefinder style
photography. It fits neatly in a pocket, and is simple and reliable. Since
we usually work at close range with Leica Ms, you can usually find a way to
measure the light you want with an incident meter.
        I've got several other meters that I use, including the Minolta
Autometer IV-F. It's great too. But I find I usually grab the Sekonic and
keep it in my pocket. It's just the thing if you plan to carry an M2, M3 or
other meterless M. I often carry it with my M6 or to backstop SLR work,
though many would find that excessive.

Good luck.

Bill Welch
Arlington, VA