Subject: 1977 Nat'l Geo. article on Cuba
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 22:43:19 -0500

I'm in Pittsburgh for Christmas, at my wife's father's house.  He has
a bunch of old National Geographics, in one of which there was an
article about Cuba.  It was an issue from 1977; I pulled it from the
shelf because Cuba is a topic that interests me (I grew up practically
next door in Puerto Rico and knew many Cuban expatriates).  I found
the story very interesting in its examination of the lives of
individuals in Cuba, and I particularly liked the photographs of Fidel
Castro using a Polaroid SX-70 -- instead of the one-dimensional,
angrily gesticulating caricature we've seen so often in the U.S.
press, one could see another aspect of the person.  The
writer/photographer responsible for the article was none other than
Fred Ward.  In fact, the article includes a photograph of Fred, taken
by Castro (with the SX-70?).

Great article and photographs, Fred!  I really enjoyed them.

- -Patrick

P.S. As someone fascinated by equipment, I have to ask -- is that a
     Nikon F you're holding in the picture Castro took of you?