Subject: Re: touchy feely on Leica R8
From: Jim Arnold <arbus@akron.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:12:45 -0400

I had the opportunity to play with an R8 recently
and was also impressed with the camera. The shutter release
is a 100% improvement over the other R cameras. It releases
very smoothly and w/o much effort compared to my RE.

The viewfinder was the other hit for me. Much easier to focus according
to my eyes than the RE. The displays were easy to read and if memory serves
there was also a frame counter in there.

Ditto on the feel. It looks big but feels good in the hand. I'd love an
"RE" verion of this camera. I just want aperture preferred and manual.

Cheers,
Jim

>Monday, I had occasion to visit my local camera dealer and took a
>close look at the new R8 they have in stock. It sure looks like a
>heavy beast when you first see it, but fitted with a 35-70mm zoom
>lens, I was startled with how nice and light it really is, and how
>well balanced it felt. The controls all fall into very comfortable
>positions, the viewfinder has excellent displays and the available
>information is just right. Shutter release is smooth and the wind
>is just right too.

>I'm very impressed. This is the nicest Leica R body I've touched
>yet. It's a bit out of my price range for the foreseeable future,
>but you never know when the unforeseen might happen. I'd been
>conjecturing that if I did want to sell off my Nikon gear for
>some reason, a Contax system was all I was really interested in
>until now. This gives me more options. Nice job, Leica! I hope
>it sells well.

      Jim Arnold   -   arbus@akron.infi.net
    Ohio.com supervisor (http://www.ohio.com)
       (o) 330.253.9574     (f) 330.253.8214
   333 S. Main - Suite 607 - Akron, OH  44309
           Ohio.com -- The online service
            of the Akron Beacon Journal