Subject: Re: TVS problem (was Re: R vs Zeiss lens prices)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 96 02:45:47 -0800

At 20:49 26/12/1996 -0500, Ken Wilcox wrote:
>My wife has a TVS and likes it. (but not as much as her RE) The TVS has a
>rather severe vignetting problem at the 28mm end of the zoom. Can be a
>problem with chromes.
>
>kw

When you see the diameter of the lens, you will understand why it is
slightly vignetting at 28mm. I don't consider this as a severe problem, as
it disappears around f5.6. I seldom use the 28mm position, I prefer the
classic, human eye perspective, 35 to 50mm. As I am shooting mostly in B&W,
it is easy to "repair" the problem in the darkroom, if needed.

The TVS is really an intelligent camera, which I like more and more. I
bought it without "User Guide", so in the beginning I didn't know about the
customizing possibilities. I got the booklet from Kyocera France, and I have
now set default flash OFF mode when the camera is switched on. I have also
set the default for autofocus to "focus when the shutter button is touched
but not pressed" mode, which shortens the delay between shutter press and
actual exposure. The delay now is theoretical.

The Vario-Sonnar lens has the "glow", a bit more contrasted than the
M-lenses though. But with the Tri-X and the photographic paper (Made in
Japan...), "Oriental New Seagull Warm Tone FB-F VC", I get astonishing
results up to 30x40 cm (12x16 inch)! That's good enough for me, so why
should I ever again bother with an M (or an R)?

Forgot to mention another book which came with the Olympus Mju-2 (Olympus
Infinity-2?) P&S. "Paroles de Sages" or "Native American Wisdom" in a
miniature edition, with some pictures by Edward S. Curtis. It's the story
about "another" America, and it goes very well with my minimum photographic
concept...

Oddmund

Paris, France
e-mail: garvik@i-t.fr