Subject: Re: R lenses....
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:38:26 -0800

A few weeks ago when all of the hullabaloo over the R8 introduction and
Leica camera division going public, the press releases mentioned Leica's
determination to move their sales from 10% to professionals to 40%.  And
also they mentioned the need to bring Leica prices down toward
competition with the Japanese.

The introduction of the R8 seems to signify that Leica is at least
listening for a change.  And the numerous new lenses and updated old
lenses says Leica is serious.

I applaud them.

I'm sure that R lenses don't sell terribly well.  There are few pros
using them.  If you need a fast, flexible system for day to day shooting
of professional assignments, Nikon and Canon are really hard to beat.
You can be as arrogant and elitest as you want with these people (I'm
one of them), yet they MUST look at the bottom line--how much can we
produce to make a living.  And most pros need numerous lenses for a
whole range of assignments--8-12 lenses would not be unusual--and the
system cost is astronomical.

Another question that pros need to ask--because 99% of our work get
filtered through the color separator, the computer, and the printing
press--just how much difference does it really make?

Looking through a publication like Nat. Geographic and comparing the
technical quality of the photos shot by the various systems, I can see a
value to the Leicas, but it is subtle.

So Leica needs to maintain the optical quality while bringing down the
price.  Since the Japanese workers are among the highest paid in the
world, there is no reason I can think of why German manufacturing can't
compete.

If the price is the same as Nikon and the optical quality is the
same--I'll go with Nikon for the ability of the system to make
professional level pix.

The R8 is the first SLR Leica body I think worth owning.  It should
drive into the professional market and stimulate the sale of lenses and
eventually lead to some economies of scale.

Despite everything, Leica still sells everything it makes at high market
prices.  But it is collectors who drive the market.  If Leica decides to
take care of pros, the pros should respond.

Donal Philby
San Diego