Subject: Re: "Point 'n Shoots"
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 96 11:54:20 -0800

At 10:12 27/12/1996 -0500, Curt wrote:

[snip]
>But when I reduced its feature set to my needs, I realized that there is no
(reasonably simple) >way of using filters.  Most of my work is black and
white.  About 80 percent of my non-people >pictures (80 percent of my work
is non-people pictures).  About 80 percent of this 80
>percent are made with yellow filters.
>
>The other thing I realized is that the single focal length (WHATEVER the
length) has severe >limitation.

>Please don't tell me that I need to 'free up my thinking,' etc. and adjust
my way of visualizing >images.  Since photography is SO important to me,
I'll stick with the flexibility of >interchangeable lenses and the ability
to use filters.
[snip]

I am also working mostly in B&W, and I sometimes use filters with my Contax
TVS and my two Rollei 35's, both accepts 30.5 mm filters. I am using the
exposure compensation on my TVS (+/- 5 EV) to set the right exposure,
according to the filter factor.

I am doing 100 % street and documentary photography (reportage), and I don't
see any problems using fixed focal length lenses. The TVS has a zoom, but I
use it as if I had 3-4 fixed focals: 28-35-40-50 mm.

Everybody is free to choose what suites his needs. There are no rules or
laws in these matters, it is a subjective issue. As a matter of fact,
flexibility and "freedom" are quite subjective issues as well.

Oddmund
Paris, France
garvik@i-t.fr