Subject: Re: The Leica of...
From: Bill Grimwood <bgrim@garply.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 21:43:12 -0600

At 05:26 PM 12/30/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 09:55 AM 12/30/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Someone used the phrase "The Leica of..." when extolling the virtues of
>>something he felt was a world class item. It's funny how these cameras have
>>become iconic to us in that we hold them up as a standard of quality.
>>
>Sadly, I don't think "The Leica of...." will work with the public at large.
>I have used Leicas in many public settings, and virtually every
>non-photographer I've talked with has never heard the name.

This reminds me of an incident that happened to me a few years ago while on
vacation in Portugal.  A fellow American tourist walked up to me and
mispronounced Leica three times and then said he had never heard of a camera
by that name.  I looked at his camera, it was a Focal from K Mart.  I said
to him that is a K Mart camera isn't it?  He answered yes, so I told him my
Leica was a Walmart brand and then I never bothered to tell him the difference.

Bill Grimwood