Subject: Why 2-stroke film advance
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@gdipa.Unibase.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 07:37:45 -0600 (CST)

Why does the M6 have a 2-stroke film advance lever? I find this
had to get used to, since most of the other 35mm cameras I've
used require only a single stroke film advance. I am finding the
two stroke film advance to be a bit slow. Fortunately though,
the lever recoils when tension is released from it, making the
film advance seem very smooth.
   I suppose that it may have something to do with the mechanical
   gear-ratios that Leica has chosen to use in the film advance
   lever. A single stroke film advance lever, which only moves
   about 120 degrees, has to be geared to allow the film to make
   the full movement to the next frame.
Are there any inherent mechanical advantages (no pun intended
here) in using a film advance lever that is not geared in such
a way as to allow film advance in a single stroke?
- --
George Huczek