Subject: Used Gear
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 11:02:26 -0500

>>Since you purchased Contax gear rather than what seemed to be your first choice, Leica, my query was directed towards the good used Leica market?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Yes, buying used R Leica gear was a serious consideration.  Believe me,
I thought about it long and hard.  (I wasn't going to get into this --
but you asked).  In the end I chose new Contax, rather than used Leica
for one reason -- the camera bodies.

Until the R8 there never has been a Leica R body that I would consider
using.  The lenses -- magnificent, but not the bodies.  At the time I
made my decission the R8 had been announced but were not yet available.
In any event, even the R8 doesn't give me what I need, including motor
wind (not for at least another 6 months, 100% viewfinder, autobracketing
(winder again) etc.

Anyhow, not to belabour the point.  If I had unlimited funds I'd go for
R Leica, M Leica AND Contax, but I don't so I use just M Leica and
Contax instead. :-)

Michael H. Reichmann
E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net