Subject: Aspherical Blank Molding Technology
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 22:20:48 -0500

At 11:55 AM 1/1/97 -0500, Dan C. wrote:

>I doubt very much if any third party lens manufacturer (apart from Hughes in
>Canada) has any hand in the making  of the aspherics (or any of the
>M-lenses, for that matter).

Well, I find it a bit interesting that Docter Optic Technologies, of
Wetzlar, patents a blank-molding method for the mass production of aspheric
lens elements, and that Leica, two or three years later, adopts a like
method for the 1.4/35 ASPH lens.  I suspect they licensed the technology, as
the hand-production of elements was bound to be time-consuming and quite
expensive.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!