Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: "Stefan Kahlert" <uzs13b@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:51:32 +0000

> Thank you Stefan! This only confirms what I=B4ve already been told off-l=
ine.
> And it really pleases me since the Titanium M6 I=B4m about to buy thereb=
> is on par with my old M3s!
>
> In other words the Titanium M6 is as close to the real sturdy and classi=
> Leica one can get today. Brass is what it takes! Is there anyone who
> doesn=B4t agree?

I can not agree with this as my experiences with brass tops
are so so. They are easily dented even by forces that would not
cause any damgage to the camera internally.
My Nikons both look some kind of ugly and the one time
I really dropped one the dent in the top was the reason
to have it serviced (the dent was in the way of the double
exposure lever on my FM2. Everything else worked
fine. I was on a trip for my study and had to use the camera
for another 7 rolls of macro-photography: no problems.
After they put a new top on the camera Nikon adjusted
nearly everything on the body though).

My conclusion is: Brass is easily dented in comparision with
other materials (massive Titanium for example, why doesn't Leica
use that as other manufaturers do?). If brass has to
"swallow the bump" it is so severly deformed that it has to be
replaced and you have the camera to be serviced anyhow
(it will at least look a little surrealistic wit a fraction
of it's resale value left).

The use of casted zinc may be a wise one in terms of functionality
and cosmetics. It just can't be titanized that easy.
But who really cares about that besides the collectors?

> Anyway, wouldn=B4t it be strange if almost US$500 extra only got you
> a different, however pretty, surface?

Well, I think that is exactly what it is.
With massive titanium you have more dent-resistance and other
manufacturers use it for that reason even without letting it
show up on the exterior (Nikon F3-Press).

But with titanized brass I can't find any advantage in functionality
at all. IMHO you just pay for a nicer look, that's all
(If I were you I knew better occasions to throw my money in but
if you really like that look I will be the last one to argue).

But what are your experiences with the zinc-top ladies and gentleman?
Does it protect the investment in an adequate manner?
Anyone who's M6 is dented over and over or who had it cracked by a real
bad bump?

best regards

Stefan
- --
Stefan Kahlert,
Medizinische Poliklnik der Universitaet Bonn
uzs13b@uni-bonn.de